Who are the NUTS?
A visual presentation by Ian Tempest (10MB)
Now Available: British Athletics 2017
The 59th NUTS Annual, edited by Rob Whittingham, Peter Matthews, and Tony Miller.
Deep UK ranking lists for all age groups in 2016, top 12 merit rankings, all-time lists, results etc.
Price is £17 plus postage (£2.99 UK, other nations vary)
For more information, and to order a copy, go to Lulu.com
1866 and all that... by Peter Radford
The whole story of the world's first national athletics championships, with complete results.
Available from the author for £6.36 inc p&p., contact
British Athletics 1866-80 by Peter Lovesey and Keith Morbey
254 A5 pages, with complete results of the AAC Championships 1866 to 1879, and painstakingly constructed yearlists for each year to 1880.
For more information, and to order a copy, go to Lulu.com
- Olympic Games Form Guides for Men (561KB) and Women (619KB)
- Statistical Booklet Career Progression Updates to 1 Jan 2016 (15 pages, 110KB) by Ian Tempest
- Iolanda Balas career record, including 154 wins in a row
- Minutes of the 2015 NUTS AGM - this year's AGM is at 6:30pm on Friday 6 May 2016 in the Offices of the London Playing Fields Association at 73 Collier Street, London, N1 9BE
- 2016 subscriptions were due in January, details here
- More scanned editions of NUTS Notes added
- World Championships Form Guides for Men (366KB) and Women (367KB)
- Heptathlon Booklet 2012-2015 Update includes 2015 indoor season
- Statistical Booklet Championship Updates to 2014 (34 pages, 120KB) by Ian Tempest
- 2015 Subscription Details with the option for overseas members to pay by PayPal
- New Athlos Web-site, a digital archive of early athletics publications in collaboration with the British Library
- NUTS Notes Archive 1959-1981 - PDF Versions of most editions of NUTS Notes
- For The Glory Of Sport - e-book by Bob Phillips
The story of the Commonwealth Games from 1930 to 2014
- Stan Greenberg's Commonwealth Lists as at 23 July 2014
- World Top-20 Merit Rankings Women 2013 by Stuart Mazdon
- World Merit Ranking Spreadsheets Women 2013 by Stuart Mazdon
- Sub-4 Alphabetic Register as at 27-Apr-2014
- British Athletics 2014 now available
- Introduction to the NUTS Resource Register and an appeal for contributions
- Notes on the NUTS Library by Ian Tempest
- Revised edition of "3:59.4 The Quest For The Four Minute Mile", by Bob Phillips now available as an e-book
- "The Past is a Foreign Country" a history of Scottish Athletics has been published by SATS
- World Top-20 Merit Rankings Men 2013 by Stuart Mazdon
- World Merit Ranking Spreadsheets Men 2013 by Stuart Mazdon
- Score any decathlon on any tables 1912-1984
- Men's Decathlon, Pentathlon and Indoor Heptathlon World Records scored on all later tables
- Statistical Booklet Career Marks Updates (13 pages, 192KB) by Ian Tempest
- Statistical Booklet Championship Updates (30 pages, 107KB) by Ian Tempest
- Hammer Booklet Update 13 pages by Ian Tempest now includes 2013 results
- Form Guide for Moscow 2013 (42 pages, 530KB)
- Further corrections to The AAA Championships 1880-1939, Historical Series Booklet No.7
- New book by Kevin Kelly - Robert Sadler and the lost Copenhagen Running Grounds
- New book by Warren Roe - Sydney Thomas 1868-1942 World Champion Harrier
- Minutes of the 2012 NUTS AGM - this year's AGM is at 6:30pm on Friday 17 May 2013 in the Offices of the London Playing Fields Association at 73 Collier Street, London, N1 9BE
- New books by Michael Sheridan - British Athletics 1951 and 1952
- Amendments to All British Olympic Results, originally in Track Stats Vol.50 No.3
- Photos from 2012 Historians meeting
- Minutes from 2012 Historians meeting
- Index of London 2012 TV Coverage by IAAF TV on YouTube
About The NUTS
The organisation was founded in January 1958, based on the same lines as
the A.T.F.S., and similarly devoted to the collection and dissemination
of statistics in Track & Field Athletics. The first comprehensive U.K.
annual lists were published in Athletics Weekly at the end of 1958, and
these formed the basis of British Athletics 1959, which was published by
the British Amateur Athletics Board.
As the authoritative compendium on U.K. athletics statistics, and widely
known as "The N.U.T.S. Annual", British Athletics has been produced each
year since 1959. The title was changed to U.K. Athletics from 1974-1982
(when published by the N.U.T.S.), reverting to its original name from 1983
(once again under the aegis of the B.A.A.B.). The Annual was published
by Umbra Software Limited from 1993 to 2010 and by the NUTS themselves from 2011.
All-Time lists for both senior and junior age-groups have been produced at
regular intervals, and there has also been a thriving Bulletin, originally
entitled N.U.T.S. Notes but now known as Track Stats, and in its 52nd year
of publication. Follow the menu for information about publications.
The organisation is governed by its own Constitution under an Executive
Committee comprising Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and a minimum of 8
other members. These officers, who are all voluntary, are elected each
How To Join
Membership includes subscription to the NUTS quarterly magazine Track Stats.
Members may also purchase copies of the British Athletics annual at a reduced rate.
A membership application form is available as an Adobe Acrobat document.
For more information about membership of the organisation, please contact the
Membership Secretary, whose details are listed below.
Forthcoming Articles for 2017
An American on British roads Buddy Edelen; 30 years in the circle Judy Oakes; An optimistic view of the future Bill Foster; Ignored in the 1960s Women milers; Why no biography? Douglas Lowe; My 10 best books Ferdie Gilson; The most surprising relay-runners Hungary at the Olympics; How young athletes should train 60 years ago George Pallett; Every 400 hurdles race Sally Gunnell; In flight from desolation Peter Dainty; Memories of Albert Hill and Ernie Harper Laurie Weatherill; Who on earth is this? mystery athletes of the 1960s.
Spreadsheets are available that complement the series of articles in Track Stats.
For details of how to access the members-only pages, please contact the webmaster
|Secretary||Dr. Shirley Hitchcock|
|Membership Secretary ||Liz Sissons|
Founding members (31 January 1958)
|Others attending||Stan Greenberg|
|Committee||The first meeting was held on 2 April 1958, the above named
being joined by Len Gebbett and Chris Lindsay.|
|Treasurer||Peter May was elected later in 1958.|
|President||Harold Abrahams C.B.E. was Hon. President from 1960-1977|
|Norris McWhirter C.B.E. succeeded H.M.A. in 1979, following
the latter's death in January 1978.|
|Sir Eddie Kulukundis succeeded N.D.McW. in 2004, following
the latter's death in April 2004.|
|Peter Radford became President in 2009, with Sir Eddie continuing as President Emeritus.|
N.U.T.S. OFFICERS (1958 to date)
|1958||Alf Wilkins||Mel Watman||Peter May|
|1960||Len Gebbett||Pat Brian||Alf Wilkins|
|1963||ditto|| Peter Hopkins||ditto|
|1969||ditto||Andrew Huxtable||Brian Nott|
|1980||Peter Matthews||David Martin||ditto|
|1985||Les Crouch||ditto||Sandra Squires|
|1990||ditto||David Martin||Andrew Clatworthy|
|1991||ditto||Shirley Hitchcock||John Powell|